Sunday, February 12, 2012

Goodbye Auntie Whit




"We were moving mountains long before we knew we could."

Yesterday the news that Whitney Houston died surfaced. My first reaction was "Shut. The. Fuck. Up." another amazing talent gone. It really saddens me that pieces of ny childhood continue to leave me. I read this tweet yesterday that really helped me understand the way I was feeling then, and when Aaliyah, Michael and Amy had past.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I sometimes refer to my favorite artists or celebrities as members of my family not because they share blood with me but I've grown a special kinship with them. Although we do not know these celebrities on a personal level some have greatly impacted our lives, inspired us and have been around when no one else was... much like family should.

I mourn the times where Whitney's music was there for me. Where "I'm Every Woman" made me feel proud to be female. Where "It's Not Right But It's Okay" helped me come to terms with a wrong doing, when I felt complete joy when "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" came on an oldies station, her rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner" filling me with patriotic fever or when "Greatest Love of All" helped me understand what real love should feel like.

I have strategically placed her voice into many playlists because of the feeling it gives me and I'm sure it will continue to give me. She will truly be missed. Rest in Peace, Whitney Elizabeth Houston.

No comments: